Fatefully, I'd made the decision to keep my flat and now I'm spared the drudges of flat hunting. Best decision ever. I spent my first week sleeping off an incredible jet lag, the likes of which I care not to see again for a long time. But I also managed to get important tasks done like set up private english lessons and get my ATM card eaten by the machine. It wouldn't be my first week in Spain if something like that hadn't happened. Though in comparison to my first week last year I have to say I think I'm doing pretty well.
The day after my arrival I dragged myself to the cell phone shop to complain of a broken SIM card and despite requesting the English speaking customer service representative was given the Spanish speaking rep. Perfecto. Surprisingly I was able to explain to her exactly what was wrong with my SIM, get a new one and switch my mobile. Issues resolved?? Really?! It was amazing, to me anyway. It really made me feel quite Spanish as my English speaking counterparts stared on in pure amazement. I guess you have to just go for it. I've admittedly been a bit lazy in trying to speak Spanish but no more.
Meanwhile Spanish politics are still...well...political. It seems there are protests every few days. I remember when I first moved in my flat, around the corner from the congress, and it was rather peaceful to be in the city center. Now during protest days there are fences erected around the congress and surrounding narrow streets making it a war zone like maze. Helicopters circle the area and I wonder. I feel completely safe and I've never felt otherwise but I've been quite sheltered from the effects of the economic situation here living in what my Spanish friend has called a "posh" area. From what I'm told though, things are getting worse. There are increases in the prices of well everything which is still quite cheap compared to the price of food and necessities in the United States.
In related news, just this Monday the leader of Madrid's regional government, Esperanza Aguirre, resigned. This made many a Spaniards happy but me a bit worried. She, from what I understand, has been a huge proponent of the program that I participate in and while some cuts to the program have been made in other regions she ensured that the auxiliars in Madrid were virtually un-phased. As a huge proponent of bilingual education, she was ally. In that I have a job due to her efforts. Without her, who knows what is to come of the program. Hopefully all remains the same.
While there are some uncertainties for Spain, short and long term, I personally have decided to be a bit more proactive this year. Taking on fewer private English lessons and using my time to be more productive in regard to my long term goals. I hope to volunteer at or attend some film festivals and really explore all that being on the other side of the pond has to offer.
No comments:
Post a Comment