26.4.13

Semana Santa...

Okay. I'm a slacker. And I'm embarrassed to even tell people I have a blog because I haven't been doing a good job of keeping up with it. So I'm going to attempt to rectify this.

Lets see...I left off in March. Ah yes, the rainiest March in 50 years in Spain. It was rough. I planned a Semana Santa holiday around Spain and Portugal. I started in the north in Santiago de Compostela, made a day trip to A Coruña and then headed down to Oporto and Lisbon in Portugal.

Santiago de Compostela is incredible. I didn't expect much and didn't do much research before hand. I just sort of showed up. The city is famous for a cathedral that is the final resting place of St. James. Yes, from biblical times. It was inspiring to randomly stumble into a church service and see the botafumeiro (a big swinging incense burning swinging metal container). Impressive even if you aren't religious. What's more the city was filled with pilgrims who had completed the Camino de Santiago, a walked route from various points around Spain to the city. Such a great vibe floated through the city and everyone was in such great spirits. Despite the damp weather.

A Coruña was a bit disappointing. I loved being ocean side and the beautiful blue green water and the castle there. But there isn't much else to see. It's a port city and I couldn't really find a neighborhood or scene. I'd say the main sites are the Tower of Hercules and the castle, and of course the rain.

Next, I headed down to Oporto. First off, Portugal is a great place. Especially on a budget. The food is amazing, the people are diverse and friendly, and while the cities are a bit in disrepair there is an old charm about the whole country. Oporto is a beautiful crumbling city. With cats. Lots of cats. Personally, I'm a dog lover. But there is also great port wine. I braved the pouring rain and took a couple of port tours and sampled some great wines. I also checked out the bookstore, Livraria Lello, which is supposed to be J.K. Rowlings inspiration for the library at Hogwarts in Harry Potter. I really enjoyed Oporto and its rustic charm.

After a damp couple of days in Oporto I went to Lisbon. Upon check in the receptionist told me Lisbon is the San Francisco of Europe. I will let you know about that I told her. Lisbon is still a bit of a mystery to me. The very fact that I was there at the same time as some friends and we totally missed each other baffles me. The city isn't that big, is it? I really liked the Alfama neighborhood. Lots of great restaurants and cafes there. I also like barrio alto, though i never saw it in full swing. My last day in town I took a half day trip to Cascais which is very relaxing and beautiful with its high jagged cliffs and delicious gelato shops. I also ate at a great Portuguese restaurant and I'll admit that I love Portuguese food, much more than Spanish.

After a week long journey that seemed like ages I found my way back to Madrid. Happy to sleep in my own bed and cook my own dinners. I began plotting my next adventure, my return to Amsterdam. I'll post about it soon. I promise.









No comments:

Post a Comment