I still cannot believe that it is 2012. It seems like just yesterday I found out I was moving to Spain and now here I am living this crazy adventure...
The holidays are a bit hectic in Madrid. There are many wonderful Christmas markets selling figurines for nativity scenes (which you can find in public schools among other places), live moss and mistletoe, and many ornaments and festive hats. But the holidays are also a time of family and friends. Everyone I knew was busy with dinners and parties, small reunions of friends and family members, and many other activities centered around togetherness. Christmas only recently became popular in Spain as they mainly celebrate January 6 as a gift giving holiday, Día de Los Reyes, also know as Epiphany elsewhere. In Spain the holidays extend from the end of December until this day and the streets are filled with people looking at all of the lights in the various plazas and streets, shopping and enjoying time with family and friends.
For my holiday break I decided to embark on a trip east. Another auxiliar and I went to Prague, Vienna, and Berlin. Prague is beautiful. But also astoundingly cheap. As noted in my last post, I spent Christmas in Praha having brunch and dinner with friends and walking through the old city. One of my favorite things to do was just walk through the old Christmas market and enjoy all the local food. Sausages and ham, a fried pizza like dough topped with various trimmings, Wiener Schnitzel, and a baked cinnamon dough roll. Everything was just so delicious! I also had a traditional Czech dinner with smelly cheese bread (yes, this is the name from the menu), potato cakes, and potato dumplings. It became really apparent that the hearty food helps when battling the cold temperatures.
In Vienna, I found the people were very friendly and charming. The food was equally as delicious. Though it was interesting to see the impact of immigration and multiculturalism on the cuisine and community. Small kebab shops and pizza stands are regular fare throughout most of Vienna and Europe, only having emerged in the last 15 years from what I am told. Vienna is also home of Beethoven and Mozart, evidenced with everything from tote bags to tiny chocolates with Mozarts' likeness.
Berlin in contrast to Prague and Vienna had few elements of the past, obviously due to history and the effects of the war, but it had still had something unique. I was fortunate enough to connect with a colleague from graduate school and another acquaintance who showed me what Berlin is all about. Artsy, inspiring, and vibrant - I can see why people are drawn to the city. It is also very well known for the night life and many electronic and house DJs flock here to play at some of the best venues in the world.
My NYE here consisted of a typical German brunch, immediately followed with a nap, a bit of sightseeing, a reunion with my colleague who invited me to the soft opening of her friends' bar (complete with a full German spread), dodging street fireworks (yes, they are legal) on my sprint to Brandenburg Gate to watch fireworks and the German version of the countdown, and a few other stops at venues.
After this whirlwind, on January 1, 2012 I just sat. Had lunch and sat. Reflected. Remembered. Reacquainted myself with things past and hopes for the future. The trip was one I will not soon forget.
No comments:
Post a Comment