Well it's March and I must say, it crept up on me. This month has been, is, and will be a busy one. I ended Feverish February by preparing for and subsequently presenting at the official language school in Aranjuez. My presentations focused on California (history and culture) and the U.S. Film Industry. It was a bit nerve racking but overall a huge success and a great accomplishment.
No time to bask in the limelight though because I was off on a weekend adventure to Amsterdam just after the presentations. It's my favorite European city by far. The canals, the food, the egregious number of bikes...what's not to love?! I was able to visit the Anne Frank Museum which I've wanted to do since the seventh grade when I read the book. It was such a momentous experience to literally walk through the bookcase and tour the space where Anne and her family lived. It isn't a very large museum but certainly worth the visit. Also, on the lighter side of the trip, having heard that pancakes are fairly popular in Amsterdam I stopped by a restaurant and had the most amazing American pancakes (with bacon of course). Though mostly, I just fell in love with the city walking through the streets and sitting by the canals. Even though I only stayed for a weekend I really felt so at home in the city. The parks and public spaces are so beautiful and I can't wait to visit when the weather is warmer and the tulips are blooming.
Back in Madrid, I stopped by the Prado Museum for the third or fourth time, this time to catch a glimpse of the Mona Lisa part deux, allegedly a copy of the original done by one of the students of da Vinci. It was fairly crowded but I managed to make my way to the front and get a good view. I've also been taking advantage of the parks and sites that Madrid has to offer. I think I'm coming to the conclusion that I like Madrid, I don't love it. When you love something you know it, and Madrid just doesn't have that pull on me. But it's a great place to desconnectar (disconnect) as the Spanish say...
Which can be quite easy as temperatures have been in the mid-70s this week! Fun in the sun will have to wait though, it's all business for me...interviewing for summer camps, looking for part-time work, and reapplying for another year teaching English in Spain. I haven't completely settled on the idea, but it's a nice fall back option. In the meantime I'm just trying to not let the time pass me by...
No comments:
Post a Comment