27.9.13

And we're back...

After a glorious two months spent filling up my soul (and my suit cases) in California I've returned to Madrid. I've got to say, it was difficult. I think each time I go home it will become increasingly so. I almost can't bear the thought of it. More on this in a few paragraphs. 

Needless to say my first week back in Spain was a bit stressful. Two weeks in and I've finally found my rhythm. Between Spanish desayunos (breakfast) and beginning at my new primary school, things are sort of making more sense. 

While this year I've got a more demanding schedule for work, 24 hours instead of 16, I get to work with children, aged 3-11. If you want an ego boost just try it. Every day without fail someone gives me a hug, compliment or an illuminating smile that recharges my energy. Aside from that, the teaching staff is great and they include me in everything from conversations to the morning coffee break. Did I mention this is a catholic private school? Yep, complete with Jesus and Mary in every corridor. 

Aside from work I've found that most of my acquaintances have moved on, either back to their place of origin or on to another career. Though I have been fortunate enough to bump into some kind hearted folks that made readjusting a bit easier, I find myself thinking more and more on my time spent at home. With my true friends. The ones whom I can not see for a year and pick up with like we never missed a beat.

There's a funny thing about living abroad for awhile. You start to feel, a way and away. To quote perhaps one of my favorite books 'The Great Gatsby', "I was within and without." When I was home I loved it but I honestly felt I didn't really belong there anymore. Not that I feel particularly enchanted by Madrid. 

I guess it never occurred to me just how tremendously you grow from living in a foreign land and how that growth impacts you. I've given great thought to what I'll do after this year but the truth is I haven't got a clue. At the very least though, the uncertainty of it all doesn't terrify me anymore.

I guess I'm finally beginning to comprehend the no pasa nada attitude that Spaniards have so masterfully crafted.  


No comments:

Post a Comment