Last weekend though my parents came to visit. They made a whirlwind trip from Madrid to Zaragosa, Barcelona, Salou, Tarragona and Paris. The days they spent with me in Madrid made me approach it with fresh eyes. As their guide to the city I wanted to show them every nook and cranny.
Living in the city center we were able to go from my flat to Plaza Santa Ana, Sol, Plaza Mayor, Gran Vía, Templo Debod, Malasaña, La Latina and the Prado and Reina Sofia museums in minutes, while seeing every major sight in between. We dined at great restaurants and they thoroughly enjoyed the 'madrileño' spirit. As their trip came to a close, they returned to Madrid and expressed how they really appreciated the city and their travels in general. Seeing the city through their eyes I began to realize that sometimes it's easy to take living here for advantage. Sure, everyone has their good and bad days but in general I can't say that I have much to complain about.
I have my neighborhood cafe, my favorite tapas bars and my favorite shopping neighborhood. I know great money saving tips like when the museums are free, what restaurants you can eat at for the best value and which neighborhoods are best for a night out any day of the week. The truth is I've amassed a wealth of knowledge about this city, and Spain and Europe in general, that my parents were in awe of. They appreciated the intricate details I provided and the comfort and ease with which I navigated them about.
I suppose it is easy to feel jaded anywhere in the world about where you live. And while I'd hoped to move to a new city next year in the south of Spain and gain a new perspective, that plan didn't come to fruition and I ended up getting another job in Madrid. So it seems like this city isn't quite done with me yet.
Funny enough, a friend mentioned he'd heard a news report about 'my city' and I responded questioning what he'd heard about Madrid. Little did I know he meant San Francisco. But he just laughed said, 'Finally, Madrid has you.' I guess it does.

No comments:
Post a Comment