That being said, anytime I get the chance I love to visit France. On a holiday at the beginning of May I decided to visit a place long on my list, the French Riviera or Côte d'Azur. While I often feel that most places I visit don't measure up to my expectations in one way or another I must say, I underestimated the south of France. Well maybe not, but I certainly wasn't prepared to fall in love with it. Well, maybe I was.
I flew to Marseille and took a train directly to Nice. Taking the train I passed through the countryside taking in incredible views. Though the closer the train drew to Nice it began to hug the coastline more. Passing through Cannes just before arriving in Nice.
The very first night I was enchanted and immediately obsessed. Strolling through the old city for an evening dinner under the stars while a musician serenaded the diners in a plaza. Is this seriously real?! Yes.
The next day I explored the city climbing to the highest peak viewing the city below and sitting on the stone beach watching the waves crash.
The following day I took a bus (only 1€!!) to Monaco. Full disclaimer: I hate the bus. I avoid it at all costs. But this. This was the most beautiful, enchanting bus ride of my life. Winding around the curvaceous windy roads of the coastline I pinched myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. And I'm not just writing that for the literary thrill of it. I actually pinched myself.
Monaco is a city of incredible luxury, glitz and glamour. While the Monte Carlo casino was a bit underwhelming in my humble opinion, I did enjoy the fantastic views from the royal palace and the beach that I sat at for hours cooling my feet in the calm, clear waters. Heaven? Maybe. Even writing about it now I'm lulled into a mellow vibe thinking of the stunning scenery.
What I enjoyed most though were the small villages and beaches in between Nice and Monaco. Villefranche and Cap D'Ail among others were incredibly gorgeous.
While the touristy nature of Nice and Monte Carlo was evident it was well worth the trip. Indulging in local delicacies. Gorging on gelato. I loved every second of this trip and it is one I will definitely repeat when time permits.
Considering that I almost didn't buy the flight or take the trip I'm glad I listened to my instinct. This is not just another place I can check off of my "to-do" list. It was something I always dreamed about for one reason or another. Perhaps that also made me love it that much more. Not only does it mean I did something I've always wanted, but also that I have to start finding new things to want.



No comments:
Post a Comment